01 March 2021
What is the proper installation of a telephone line into an APC product with telephone line protection? FYI; Please check that the APC product you have purchased supports telephone protection. This can be confirmed in the products user manual. (Please note that if a product does not say it supports dual phone lines then it is to be assumed to only have single line protection.Product Line:
Surge, Back-UPS and Back-UPS PRO units with Telephone protection.Environment:
Please check that the APC product you have purchased supports telephone protection. This can be confirmed in the products user manual. (Please note that if a product does not say it supports dual phone lines then it is to be assumed to only have single line protection.)
You will need:
1. An unused telephone connection
2. An APC product with telephone line protection.
3. At least 2 telephone patch cables. (One of which is sometimes provided with the APC product see product documentation for details)
4. A telephone, Fax machine or dial-up modem.
1. Attach one side of a telephone patch cable to the telephone jack in the wall and the other side to the ""in"" jack on the APC product (""In"" jack may also be labeled ""Wall outlet"" or be denoted by a circle with an arrow pointing into it.)
2. Next, attach the second patch cable from Out jack (out jack may also be labeled ""Modem, fax, phone"" or be denoted by a circle with and arrow pointing out of it.)
3. Test the equipment to see if it is usable.
If you wish to split the signal, it is recommended that the splitter be placed after the APC product, in order to fully protect all devices for potentially damaging surges.
If you have done the above and your device is still not working, listed below are several tips to help correct the issue.
1. You have 2 separate telephone lines and now since you have hooked the APC product up properly, one of the two lines does not work. You have likely purchase the incorrect APC product for your configuration. Only products that state they have 2-line 4 wire protection will be able to pass 2 phone lines.
2. If You have hooked it up and it still does not work then:
- Make sure the patch cables are all the way in.
- Confirm that the telephone patch cables are attached to the correct jacks.
- Try to replace the telephone patch cable. May be one or both are bad.
- Contact APC tech support for further troubleshooting and/or a possible replacement. Include the model and serial number of the APC product.