This article goes over some common issues that one might encounter when configuring ClearSCADA Mobile and provides some basic steps to troubleshoot these issues. In addition, please familiarize yourself with ClearSCADA Mobile system requirements to make sure your ClearSCADA Mobile runs in the supported environment.
Connection to ClearSCADA Mobile times out or an internal error reported:
This may be caused by the following issues:
1. The mobile device is not on the same network or routing is not implemented/configured correctly. One could check the Internet Information Server (IIS) log files which are usually located in "C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles". The IIS logs should record connection attempts similar to below with timestamp in UTC if the mobile device is able to reach Mobile Server. Due to the way the IIS logs operate, new entries might be delayed for up to a few minutes.
2015-10-29 15:09:40 192.168.159.149 GET /mobile/service.svc/v1/..................
To resolve this issue, make sure that mobile devices are connected to the same network as ClearSCADA Mobile if no routing is implemented. If there is routing in place, check the configuration of the router(s).
2. Incorrect connection information is provided. Make sure the connection information the mobile device is configured to follow the general format below. Depending on the situation, one either needs to specify the IP address/Name and the port of the server running ClearSCADA Mobile or the IP address/Name and the port of the router.
<server IP or server name or URL>:port
3. Communication ports get blocked by a firewall. Make sure the ClearSCADA Mobile port and the listening port between ClearSCADA Mobile and ClearSCADA Mobile Companion Server are both configured to allow communication. To find out what ports ClearSCADA Mobile uses check the following:
- Launch Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager on the machine hosting ClearSCADA Mobile, select ClearScadaMobile site (ClearSCADA if using ClearSCADA 2015 R1) and click on Bindings. The HTTPS port displayed in Bindings is being used for communication between mobile devices and ClearSCADA Mobile. The default port is 443 in all versions of ClearSCADA except for ClearSCADA 2015 R1. It is port 453 in ClearSCADA 2015 R1.
- Right click on the ClearSCADA Server Icon found on the machine hosting ClearSCADA Server itself, navigate to Configuration -> System Configuration -> Mobile and locate Port. This port is being used for communication between ClearSCADA Mobile and ClearSCADA Mobile Companion Server. The default port is 8008.
4. The ClearScadaMobile web-site is not running on the server. Launch Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and make sure the ClearScadaMobile site is running as shown below.
5. Check whether the "ClearSCADA Mobile Settings Service" (named "ClearSCADA Mobile Server" in ClearSCADA 2014 and 2013, and "ClearSCADA Web and Mobile Settings Service" in ClearSCADA 2015 R1) service is running on the machine hosting ClearSCADA Mobile. In addition, make sure the "ClearSCADA Mobile Companion Server" service is running on the machine hosting ClearSCADA Server. If ClearSCADA Mobile and ClearSCADA Server run on the same machine, both services should be present on it.
6. HTTP Activation is not installed as a part of WCF Services as per below.
ClearSCADA Mobile Connection Port used by another application:
An issue will arise when ClearSCADA Mobile is configured to use the same port that is already in use by another application. The default connection port for ClearScadaMobile is 443 in all versions of ClearSCADA except for ClearSCADA 2015 R1. It is port 453 in ClearSCADA 2015 R1. To check what port ClearSCADA Mobile is configured to, launch the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, select ClearScadaMobile site (it is called ClearSCADA in ClearSCADA 2015 R1), click Bindings and see what port is specified for HTTPS connections. If the port configured for the HTTPS connection is being used by another application, change the HTTPS port for ClearSCADA Mobile to a vacant port. Once the change to the port is made, the ClearScadaMobile site needs to be restarted. There might also be a need to reconfigure the SSL certificate for the newly assigned HTTPS port.
Mobile User not created in the ClearSCADA database:
Make sure that users configured in ClearSCADA Mobile have also been configured in the ClearSCADA database - the user names are case sensitive and must be match. Otherwise, users will not be able to access the ClearSCADA database when logging in through ClearSCADA Mobile.
Mismatch in System Name:
Make sure that the same System is specified in ClearSCADA Mobile Configurator and in "Server Configuration -> System Configuration -> Mobile".
Mobile Companion Server not installed (does not apply to ClearSCADA 2015 R1):
ClearSCADA Mobile Companion Server must be installed separately from ClearSCADA Mobile except for ClearSCADA 2015 R1. ClearSCADA Mobile Companion Server must be installed on the machine hosting the ClearSCADA database which might or might not be the same machine hosting ClearSCADA Mobile. To install ClearSCADA Mobile Companion Server, run ClearSCADA Installer and select "Install ClearSCADA" as opposed to "Install ClearSCADA Mobile". Select "Modify" and locate "Mobile Companion" under "Server" group. Continue with the installation process. Once the installation is completed, check to see if the ClearSCADA Mobile Companion Server service is running.
Configuration Mismatch in Listening Ports (applies to ClearSCADA 2013 and 2014 only):
It is possible that ClearSCADA Mobile and ClearSCADA Mobile Companion Server are configured to different listening ports which results in no communication between the two. The listening port of Mobile Companion can be checked from "ClearSCADA Configuration -> System Configuration -> Mobile -> Port".
The listening port configured in ClearSCADA Mobile can be checked as well. Go to ClearSCADA Mobile installation folder - the default directory is "C:\Program Files\Schneider Electric\ClearSCADA Mobile", go into "Server" and open up ClearScadaMobileServer.exe (with Notepad for example):