How can lighting design help meet these measures?
The switch to IC-4-rated LED lamps/luminaires, which can use around 80 per cent less electricity than halogen lamps, has played a big role in reducing the household energy load of lighting.
The IC-4 rating is significant because it means it can be covered by insulation. This is the most important factor when it comes to achieving 7 stars but there are other ways lighting can play its part in reducing the energy load of the household.
For example, switches and lighting controls are an effective way to provide lighting only when it’s needed.
Tips and tricks
Here are some tips & tricks to help:
- Install multiple switches in a room to control different lighting elements (ambient, accent or task).
- Consider multiway control of lights at the entry and exit of rooms to encourage users to turn lights turned off when not in use.
- Use timers and motion/light level sensors for security lights and common areas.
- Installing dimmer controls for your lighting provides ultimate control to create the perfect mood and ambiance, whilst also saving energy and running costs.
- Install smart lighting, which can be dimmed, automated, or controlled remotely over a network by a device, such as a tablet or smart phone.
Explore case studies
Discover how others have turned their homes into beautiful, smart and sustainable spaces they love.
Electric Home Design
Create a new world of possibilities for your home renovation or new house build, powered by electric. Unlock exciting home ideas for your kitchen, bathroom and more.
Wiser Smart Home
Imagine how effortless life would be a in a that adjusts to your needs with Wiser Smart Home.
Sign up to our newsletter
Get inspiration, advice and information straight to your inbox from local building and renovation experts.