In ClearSCADA, it is possible to add a custom 'Description' field to object properties by adding a custom metadata field. The description field could then be queried. This article describes the steps to configuring such a metadata field.
1) In ViewX, right-click on the root group and, from the menu bar, select 'Edit Metadata'
2) In the Metadata dialog select the 'Fields' tab, click the 'Add' button and then select 'Standard'
3) Set up the new field as follows and then click OK:
4) Back in the Metadata dialog select the 'Labels' tab and click the 'Add' button.
5) Configure the label as follows and then click OK:
6) Now if you create a point and look at the 'Identification' tab you will see a new field which you can populate with a text string.
7) If you perform a query from the CDBObject table and include the ptDesc field you will see the text string that you defined for the point.
The steps above may be used as a guide for configuring other custom metadata fields.
Note: You can specify the CDBPoint table instead of the CDBObject table (steps 3 and 5 above) if you want to limit the description field to points only. If this is done then the 'Description' field will then appear on the tab labeled 'Point' in the point properties dialog.