Magelis HMIBMI or HMIBMO Box PC intermittently starts in EFI Shell even though the Boot priority is set to "Windows Boot Manager".
Instead of the Windows OS launching normally upon power up, the screen following startup that appears shows text similar to the following:
EFI Shell version 2.50 [5.12]
Current running mode 1.1.2
Device mapping table
Blk0 :BlockDevice - Alias (null)
Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue.
Magelis HMIBMI Box PC, HMIBMO Box PC
Physical HMI, Windows 10
The behaviour occurs in BIOS versions on the devices:
Magelis HMIBMI BIOS versions below v114.
Magelis HMIBMO BIOS versions below v113.
This is resolved in the following BIOS updates:
HMIBMO v113 BIOS Update (June 5th, 2019): https://schneider-electric.app.box.com/s/xv99lg04i1e9i89exenkb7ld40ef0td2
- The BIOS file is 12310000I60V113.BIN
The following procedure requires:
USB Memory Stick with FAT32 filesystem
A UEFI bootable USB stick is not required. Master Boot Record (MBR) type will work (off-the-shelf one).
Steps to update the BIOS on the HMIBMI/HMIBMO are as follows:
1. Download all the files from the links above for your specific HMI type.
2. USB memory stick that is of FAT32 file format.
3. Save all the files into the root directory of the USB memory stick.
4.Start your HMI in Windows Boot Manager mode to boot in Windows. When the HMI starts, look for the BIOS startup screen where it will allow you to press F7 to go to the BIOS configuration screen.
5. Press F7.
6. In the BIOS screen's Boot configuration screen, choose to start with "Windows Boot Manager"
7. Restart your HMI
8. Now, we will launch the EFI shell. When the HMI starts, look for the BIOS startup screen where it will allow you to press F7 to go to the BIOS configuration screen.
9. Press F7.
10. In the BIOS screen's Boot configuration screen, choose to start in "UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell
11. Plug in the USB memory stick into the HMI
12. To list the drives, type: map -r
13. There should be drive aliases named: "fs0:", "fs1", "blk0:"
, etc listed. Find the one that shows something like "fs1 :Removable HardDisk - Alias <letters and numbers> <drive alias>"
14. In the Shell, type the name of the drive that represents your USB memory stick, if it is "fs1:" as determined from the above step, then type: fs1:
15. Press Enter.
16. The shell prompt should appear like: "fs1:\>
17. To show the contents of the drive to confirm you have the right drive, type: dir
18. Press Enter.
- You should see the f.nsh and .BIN files that you moved to the root of the USB memory stick listed.
19. Use the .NSH script file to install the new BIOS version.
- For the HMIBMI, type: f.nsh B1210000I60V114.BIN
- For the HMIBMO, type: f.nsh 12310000I60V113.BIN
20. Press Enter.
21. You will see a warning at this point saying "Warning: Not all of the file data will be written to flash because the file is longer than the flash area to be written to
This is expected, and when prompted to continue, type Y
to continue and press Enter.
You will also see "PDR Region does not exist"
. This means that the Platform Data Region does not exist in the .BIN file and will not be written to the BIOS. This is also expected.
22. When the process is done, restart the HMI
After completion on the HMIBMI, the information in the BIOS should show:
Product Version : HMIBMI 114
After completion on the HMIBMO, the information in the BIOS should show:
Product Version : HMIBMO 113
Older versions can be found here:
HMIBMI v112 BIOS Update (June 5th, 2019): https://schneider-electric.app.box.com/s/fh3sspsxq7omttmpmive4i60ojk8pi40
- The BIOS file is B1210000I60V112.BIN