From the computer attempting to install an ION Enterprise Client on, the following symptoms are present:
- Pinging the Primary server's IP address works while pinging the computer name fails.
- The client computer cannot resolve the Primary server's computer name either.(ie: \\<computer_name> does not work)
In cases where the ION Enterprise server and Client are located on a public or separate network, you may not be able to see the server by computer name. In this case, use the Enable LMHOSTS Lookup parameter in the TCP/IP network settings of the client.
- Edit the LMHOSTS.SAM found in Windows\System32\Drivers\etc. (Instructions are in the file)
For example at the bottom of this file add the following line:
10.194.0.1 <Computer_name of ION Enterprise server>
You will of course provide the actual IP address of the server and replace <Computer_name of ION Enterprise server> with the actual computer name.
- Go to Network and Dial-Up Connections -> Local Area Connection -> Properties.
- Open the properties for the TCP/IP protocol and go to the Advanced WINS configuration.
- Check the Enable LMHOSTS lookup and then import the LMHOSTS.SAM file.
Note: this will only work if the IP addresses are static.