How to log Modem interactions
To troubleshoot internal ION Modems, complete the following procedure then analyze the different strings.
Make two connections to the meter: COM1 via RS232/485 and the modem via RJ11
- Switch COM1 protocol to Modemgate
- Open a HyperTerminal session to COM1
- To see the typed text and responses, select File > Properties > ASCII Setup > and check the 'Echo typed characters locally' box > click OK
- Log the entire connection (Transfer> Capture Text)
- Power cycle the meter. In HyperTerminal there will be some init strings with some OK responses, wait until it is done
- Type ati0 (to get the modem type)
- Type at&v (to get the current settings)
- Dial into the meter via modem. In HyperTerminal you should see RING, then hear a bunch of squawking (the modem establishing a connection) if there is a speaker. At this stage do not press any keys; it will list the negotiation parameters.
- Disconnect the site. You should see a disconnect message in HyperTerminal
- Ensure the LED lights on the side of the meter go out. If they don't type ath0