ProWORX 32 could return Runtime error - 'skcl.dll not correctly registered' during the installation on a PC that
has the Windows XP. Service Pack 2.
The error is due to the 'Windows XP Service Pack 2' support for DEP (Data Execution Prevention). On the
latest hardware from both Intel and AMD, they have started putting hardware data execution prevention (Intel's
Execute Disable(XD) flag and AMD's 'Virus Protection'). This is preventing the .dl from executing.
To resolve the problem,
- Download the new version (126.96.36.199) of the 'skcl.dll' file
- Click on Start\Run and type in the following command to unregister it.
regsvr32 -u C:\WINNT\system32\SKCL.dll
- Locate the file in the Windows\System 32 folder and backup the existing file named 'SKCL.dll'
- Replace the current file with the new file that was downloaded.
- Click on Start\Run and type in the following command to register it.
If this does not resolve the problem, you can try turning off the 'Data Execution Prevention'
To turn off the Data Execution Prevention, refer to the article (A detailed description of the Data Execution
Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows
Server 2003) on Microsoft's web site at
The following workaround is quoted from the Microsoft article.
"For the purposes of program compatibility, you can selectively disable DEP for individual 32-bit programs
when DEP is set to the OptOut policy level. To do this, use the Data Execution Prevention tab in System
Properties to selectively disable DEP for a program."