The IEC870-5-103 protocole is not available in the Sepam 1000+ range, and will not be proposed in the future.
The reasons of that choice are :
1. The IEC870-5-103 protocol is not trully suited to the users' needs :
- limited to communication between protection devices and the supervisory system
- not adapted to control-command needs
- interoperability of EQUIPMENT made by different manufactureres is not performed (exchange of private data depend on the manufacturer)
- exchange of generic data is complicated to implement
2. Modbus protocol is a "de facto" standard, flexible and easily usable by all for all applications.
3. IEC is working on a new standard protocol, to cover all communications within electrical substations, truly suited to users' needs.
- The standard is awaited at the end of 2001.
- The new Sepam PRODUCTS will integrate the protocole as soon as the standard is published.
You will find more details about this topic in the attached files :
IEC870.doc : english version
Re-published to revised security level: 17 June 2008 by DRM
Applies To: Sepam 1000+ (Sepam Series 20 and Sepam Series 40)
Original Author: FK
All content © 1992-2008 Schneider Electric
Legacy KB System (APS) Data: RESL166825 V2.0, Originally authored by FrKr on 06/18/2008, Last Edited by DaMi on 06/18/2008
Related ranges: Sepam series 40, Sepam series 20