What are the steps in order to use my Network Management Card 2 to update my Smart UPS (SMT/SMX) firmware?
Smart-UPS models with the prefix SMT or SMX
(NOTE: For models with the Prefix SRT refer to Kbase #FA281753)
- Supported UPS model listed above
- UPS Network Management Card 2 (AP9630, AP9630CH, AP9631, or AP9631CH) with Firmware 6.4 or higher
- UPS power output *MUST* be turned off
- Correct firmware file for the particular UPS (Links are found below)
UPS Firmware Updates allow for continuous improvements and feature enhancements.
We recommend using the APC Firmware Upgrade Wizard via a Serial or USB connection to the UPS whenever possible. The APC Firmware Upgrade Wizard guides you through the upgrade process and incorporates more checks, providing a more consistent upgrade experience.
You can find the Firmware Upgrade Wizard in Kbase #FA164737
. Instructions are being provided here for users that are unable use the Firmware Upgrade Wizard and wish to upgrade their Smart-UPS Firmware using an APC Network Management Card.
Follow the steps below to determine your current firmware revision, select the proper firmware image, and update the UPS via the Network Management Card web interface.
A video demonstrating this procedure can be found below, and a complete user's guide is attached to this Kbase document in PDF format.
- Verify the firmware revision of your Network Management Card (AP9630, AP9630CH, AP9631, or AP9631CH). From the NMC web interface choose “About”, then “Network”.
Firmware level must be 6.4.0 or higher
– Find the correct UPS Firmware Image.
The "ID" is a unique identifier for the hardware platform of your UPS. We use the "ID" number to make sure we select the correct firmware file. Sometimes one specific model UPS may have different "ID" numbers depending on when it was produced. Always check the "ID" number of the unit you are going to upgrade.
Click on the proper “Image Name” in the chart below to download your proper FW image:
- Use the UPS "ID" number to select the proper Image for your UPS.
- From the NMC web interface choose “About”, then “Network”:
– Turn UPS Output Off
UPS DAMAGE CAN RESULT IF UPS OUTPUT IS NOT TURNED OFF.
- From the NMC web interface choose “Control”, then “UPS”:
– Once the UPS output is Off, go to “Firmware Update from the “Configuration” Menu, then use the “Choose File” button to navigate to the firmware image you downloaded in step 2.
Once you have selected the correct Firmware image, click the “Update UPS” button to apply the upgrade.
If you attempt to update the UPS with the output power still on, you will see this message:
If you do, you should turn off the output power and then you will be able to continue.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPGRADE WITH OUTPUT POWER ON.
Once you click “Update UPS” you will see this (Please note: Upgrade may take several minutes
When this window closes, the update is complete.
Verify that the new Firmware version is shown.
NOTE: If the update does not complete, or if you receive any errors, Please re-try using the Firmware Upgrade Wizard, which can be found in FA #164737.
- You may now turn your UPS back on
From the NMC web interface choose “Control”, then “UPS”
Select “Skip outlet on delays” to ensure power is restored immediately
Verify that power is restored to your attached load.
Your upgrade is now complete.