How do you configure an ION meter to trigger a relay as a result of power failure?
Using ION Setup to trigger a relay as a result of power failure
Note: In this example, we will consider relay R1.
Inverting the polarity of the relay's normal state will allow the contacts to change state if the meter loses control power. When control power is re-applied, the relay will then transition back to the inverted state. In this example, both/either the normally open or normally closed contact of relay R1 can be used as they will transition states when cycling the meter control power.
1. Open ION Setup and configure your meter.
2. Ctrl + click on your meter in the left-hand pane - this will open the advanced settings folders.
Figure 1 – Advanced Settings Folders
3. Click on Ext Bool Modules.
4. In the white space in the right-hand pane, right click and select Insert Module. This will create a module named "Ext Bool XX" where the X indicates some number - note this addition to the right-hand pane. In Figure 2, the new module is named Ext Bool 24.
Figure 2 – Ext Bool Modules
5. Next, click on the folder named Digital Out Modules. Select a module for a relay that you have not configured (e.g. DO-R1). Double click on the module for the relay you would like to configure.
Figure 3 – Digital Out Modules
6. Double click on Source:
7. In the box to select the Parameter: scroll down or search for Ext Bool Modules. Click the plus sign to expand the list.
8. Scroll down to the external Boolean module that you just created (e.g. Ext Bool 24). Expand that module by clicking the plus sign.
9. Select EBXX Switch (where the XX corresponds to the number in the module name - e.g. EB24 Switch). Double click this switch to populate it as the source for the DO module.
Figure 4 – ION Input Selection : Source
10. Next, select the Setup Registers tab. Double click on DO1 Polarity. From the drop-down menu, change the polarity to inverting. Press OK.
11. Double click on DO1 Port. From the drop-down menu, select the relay that you are trying to configure (e.g. Relay R1).
12. Finally, send all these changes to the meter by pressing Send.
Figure 5 – Setup Registers Tab