Migrating a server ION Virtual Processor (VIP) to a new ION Enterprise or Power Monitoring Expert system.
When moving an ION Enterprise or Power Monitoring Expert (PME) system to a new machine it may be necessary to maintain all previous data and custom programming associated with the ION Virtual Processor (VIP)
ION Enterprise 4.x/5.x/6.x
Struxureware Power Monitoring 7.0.x
Power Monitoring Expert 7.x/8.x
All ION Enterprise and Struxureware Power Monitoring Expert systems.
Installation of ION Enterprise or Power Monitoring Expert on a new machine creates a newly names VIP.
It registers VIP. as the default name for the VIP service without any of the custom programming used in the original system.
*Warning: Take backups of any files prior to modifying them. Ensure the backups are in a location that will not be overwritten (i.e. the Desktop).
Move original data into the proper folder structures with the following steps:
1. Stop the newly created VIP service VIP.
a.) Open Windows Service manager (Start > services.msc)
b.) Find ION Virtual Processor Service
c.) Right click this service and select Stop
2. Collect the vip.cfg and vip.bak files that were backed up on the original machine. These files are located at Install root\Power Monitoring Expert\config\cfg\vip\vip.
3. On the new machine, place the files collected from step 2 in Install root\Power Monitoring Expert\Config\cfg\vip\vip. . (Overwrite the existing files with migrated files)
4. Collect the vip..cfg file from the original machine located at Install root\Power Monitoring Expert\config\diagram\nd
5. Place the file collected from step 4 in Install root\Power Monitoring Expert\config\diagram\nd . (Overwrite the existing file if it exists)
6. Return to the Windows Service Manager and start the ION Virtual Processor service which was stopped in step 1.
All previous programming should now be restored to the new machine.
Note 1: If this is a system with multiple VIP source nodes, please refer to FA221411 for instructions on creating new VIP nodes.
Afterwards, follow the above steps for moving original data using the newly created folders VIP. in place of VIP.
The path for older versions or direct in place upgrades could be as follows:
- Install root\ION Enterprise\Config\cfg\vip\vip.
- Install root\ION Enterprise\config\diagram\nd