How to add an ASCII string register type to a custom MDI device driver
A user sees the following error ("Configuration error, The source is improperly configured or the requested register does not exist") in Vista when linking to an ASCII string register that is set up for a custom device in Modbus Device Importer (MDI).
ION Enterprise 5.6.x
ION Enterprise 6.0.x
StruxureWare Power Monitoring 7.0.x
Power Monitoring Expert 7.2.x
Power Monitoring Expert 8.x
Modbus Device Importer
When an ASCII register is set up in the Modbus Device Importer, the register is not associated with the appropriate register type in the translator files.
*Warning: Take backups of any files prior to modifying them. Ensure the backups are in a location that will not be overwritten (i.e. the Desktop)".
- A user will need to manually modify the ION translator file for the device driver to assign the register to the appropriate format
- A user is only able to select the ASCII register format for a register added to an "External Numeric Manager"
3. After adding the desired ASCII register, save and update the device driver, and locate the translator files and open the .xml and .ion files in a text editor
5. Once you have identified the handle number for the ASCII register you will need to locate that handle number in the ION translator file. Make note of the register format highlighted in yellow below
4. In the .xml file locate the ASCII register and make note of the ION handle number. In the example below the handle number is 135266305
6. You will need to change this from "NumericVariable_Register" to "String_Register" as seen below
7. After you have made this change save the ION file and restart Vista. The numeric object will now display the appropriate output from the string register