Video: Using the Modbus Tester Interface in ION Setup 3.0
A customer would like to access a meter's Modbus register information in ION Setup
Modbus Tester Interface
When communicating with Modbus protocol, ION Setup has a Modbus Tester Interface that can be used to read/write to registers. See the procedure and video below for how to use this tool.
Note: That this is not limited to device types that are supported by default, but also for third party devices in which a communication can be established.
It is assumed that the communication connection is already setup in ION Setup (in Network mode a 'site' and 'device' are created). If the device needs to be added to ION Setup, see the ION Setup User Guide
for information on how to add a device.
If you are communication with an ION Meter, please note the following:
In order to access the interface, the device must be added in ION Setup as a Modbus TCP or Modbus RTU device.
- A direct Ethernet device can be added with device type set as 'Modbus TCP Device' and ensure IP port 502 is selected in order for the Modbus Tester Interface to be available.
- A serial connected device will require the Modbus protocol to be chosen, so the device will be unable to speak ION protocol on that com port.
After the meter is added, follow the steps below:
- On the tool bar click on the stethoscope to open diagnostic window, or from the menu select Tools > Diagnostics...
- Go to 'Troubleshooting' tab and open the 'Modbus Tester Interface'.
- From the drop down menu select the proper option for your application; for the sake of this demonstration, 'Read Holding Registers (0x03)' is selected.
- Input the required parameters and click 'Send'; in this example register 41716, Total Real Energy, which is type Mod10 and size of 4 is used:
Modbus Request Type
Write to Register
Two options available:
- Preset "Single" Register (0x06)
- Preset "Multiple" Registers (0x10)
After selection and assigning the address, highlight the register and enter the value to write by clicking on 'Set...' and then 'Send':
Note: ION Setup version 3.0.12242.01 was used when this article was written.