ION Enterprise 6.0 replaced the old Excel-based Report Generator with Web Reporter. However, some users may have created custom Report Generator reports that they still want to be able to run in an ION Enterprise 6.0 environment.
ION Enterprise 6.0.x
StruxureWare Power Monitoring 7.0.x
Power Monitoring Expert 7.2.x
Power Monitoring Expert 8.0
Changes made for ION Enterprise 6.0 make running Report Generator reports from ION Enterprise client machines less accessible. Among the changes made:
1. It is not obvious during the installation process that RepGen is even installed on a client, since at install time, the options available on a client install include Vista, Designer, Management Console and Web Reporter.
2. The Archive DTS package no longer creates a DSN on the Primary machine for RepGen to use. In addition, the .reg file called ION_DsnKeys.reg is no longer created. This means that DSNs for archived databases need to be set up manually (the User Guide is incorrect)
To answer cause 1, the required RepGen files are installed on all client and secondary machines.
What follows is the procedure for creating a DSN manually:
NOTE: If you are using a 64-bit operating system, run the 32-bit ODBC Administrator tool (%windir%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
) in command prompt.
- 1. Start Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> ODBC Data Source Administrator, choose the System DSN tab, and click Add:
2. Choose the SQL Server driver and click Finish:
3. Type in a Data Source Name. Its best to use a name that clearly identifies the database that you are wanting to connect to. Be sure to append it with so RepGen will see it. Note that Data Source names are limited to 32 characters. Select the SQL Server instance that your database is attached to, then click Next:
- 4. Choose SQL Server authentication, and type in Report for the login ID and reporter! For the password, then click next.
Note: The password for the report user has changed between versions of the software
PME 7.2, password is rep0rter!
5. Check the Change the default database to: checkbox, and select your archived database from the dropdown list, then click Next:
6. Accept the defaults in the next screen and click Finish. Use the Test Data Source button to be sure that you configured the DSN correctly, then click OK, and then OK again to close the ODBC Data Source Administrator.
NOTE1: In ION Enterprise 6.0, the legacy Reporter interface is linked to the Web Reporter option during the Client installed. If this is not selected then Reporter will not
be installed. You can still install this interface, however, via the following procedure:
- Insert the ION Enterprise 6.0 DVD
- Go to add/remove programs -> ION Enterprise -> Change
- Run the modify task and enable the Web Reporter option. This will install Reporter on the client.